Friday, June 3, 2011

A Cow's Handshake!

Sender: Auli

Artist: Kaj Stenvall
"Handshake From The Milk Producer", 2005

This is my first Kaj Stenvall card! I've seen postcrossers requesting for his cards on the  forum and official site, but I've never specifically requested for nor received any, until today. But a quirky art picture of a cow in the postcrossing gallery caught my interest long ago and I marked it, not knowing it was a Kaj Stevall's picture (it was a cow after all...). And today Auli sent me the exact replica, stating that she saw the card in my favourites. How thoughtful! TQ Auli!

Kaj Stenvall, born 25 December 1951, is a contemporary Finnish artist and paints with oils. He is known for his pictures of ducks or duck-like figures in various settings. A quote from his site, "The duck is more of a symbol; the material of an intermediary; and a symbol of Man. The character illustrates the dilemma of being human. The duck, as such, doesn´t symbolise anything to me personally. It is used as a catalyst in the process of how it will be interpreted in the eye of the beholder." 

Even though I now have Kaj Stenvall's "cow art" and not his "duck art", I am very happy! And I would gladly receive a handshake from Madam Cow, the milk producer! :D



No comments: