Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Land of 10,000 Lakes

Sender: Joe
Joe wants to show some of the things in Minnesota, in a colourful way.

But I am most impressed by the statement "Land of 10,000 Lakes". So I googled it and yes! Minnesota is known as the land of 10,000 lakes...There are 11,842 lakes in Minnesota! Because of the large number, finding unique names for the lakes can be difficult. I read that Minnesota has at least 91 different lakes named Long Lake. That would confuse a first time visitor like me for sure :)

I read further that the lakes of the northern portion of Minnesota have transformed the area into popular summer resorts attracting thousands of visitors each year with their beauty.

And....that the word "Minnesota" is derived from the Dakota word for "water that reflects the sky". Dakota is the language of the Dakota people of Sioux tribes. Minne-sota, Minne-sota, I like pronouncing it :)


No comments: