Sunday, June 5, 2011

American Dolls by Martha Chase

Sender: emotis


These all-cloth dolls were made by hand in a small factory run by Martha Jenks Chase in Rhode Island from 1890 to 1925, the year Ms Chase died.


emotis wrote that she loved Cabbage Patch Kids & Barbie dolls and used to play with them in her childhood. I used to play with dolls too and I had various types from small dainty ones to one really ugly doll almost my (then) height. And I used to teach them how to read and write (ha! ha!) and scold them if they were "lazy". My favourite was called "Mimi" who originally said "Mama" everytime she was held upright from a supine position. This "Mama" calling used to spook me silly, so I "operated" Mimi's back and took out her speaker and she "spoke" no more!

I kept my dolls in a trunk for many, many years despite having outgrown them until they were discovered by my four young (budding make-up artists) cousins, who repainted their faces and clothes in rainbow colours, using permanent  colour ink pens...


No comments: