Thursday, June 23, 2011

'I' is for 'Ireland'


Sender: Alienne

Text on card: Stone Bridge on the Ring of Beara, County Cork. 

Alienne hopes that I will like the lonesome stretch of land in Ireland. I do! I do! I do like it very much, Alienne! I wish to explore the place in this card but I guess I would have to be wrapped up warmly in 20 layers or more as I am sure it is colder than it looks. Actually for a long time I was near enough to hop on a ferry to Ireland. But I never did and I regret that until today.

The Beara Peninsula is a walker's paradise, ideal for long walks with ever-changing views.  There are mountains, valleys, scenic lakes, rugged coastline, woodlands, marshes, fens and species-rich limestone grasslands. Linking all this together is the Beara Way walking trail, also a cycling route - just my cup of tea - (and the Ring of Beara for those who wish to drive). 

Beara is situated in County Cork, which is Ireland's largest county with a history that goes back for hundreds of years and there are traces of civilisation that date back to the Stone Age.

Down thy valleys, Ireland, Ireland,
Down thy valleys green and sad,
Still thy spirit wanders wailing,
Wanders wailing, wanders mad.

Long ago that anguish took thee,
Ireland, Ireland, green and fair,
Spoilers strong in darkness took thee,
Broke thy heart and left thee there.

Down thy valleys, Ireland, Ireland,
Still thy spirit wanders mad;
All too late they love that wronged thee,
Ireland, Ireland, green and sad. 

No comments: