Sunday, June 19, 2011

Burj Al Arab

Sender: Angela

The card is of Dubai’s number one landmark, the Burj Al-Arab, the world's tallest hotel at 321 meters /1,053 feetIts design is influenced by the sail of a "dhow", an Arabian sailing ship. Built on its own artificial island, the hotel can be reached by causeway (in one of its courtesy white Rolls Royces) or by helicopter, straight to its heliport at its top floor. There are 202 luxurious bedroom suites in Al-Burj, varying in price from approximately $1,000 to $27,000 per night. Casual visitors are not admitted.

The view in the card reminds me of the slow water-taxi trip I took from the Souk Madinat in Madinat Jumeirah Resort, along the man-made waterways up to the spot overlooking Al-Burj and back to the Souk. It was a relaxing ride after hours of "measuring" the Souk, the Dubai Mall and the Mall of the Emirates. Dubai has immense malls and with their low temperatures air-conditioning, it's hard to remember that Dubai is a hot country. Until I was taken to the desert for an unforgettable roller coaster drive skimming over the sand dunes.

Angela wrote about skiing in Ski Dubai. Well, I was taken there but I lasted only 10 minutes, to the amusement of my friends. Don't they know that the soles of my feet have been stamped, "Made for Warmer Temperatures"? :D


No comments: