Sunday, June 5, 2011

Fryslân and its Cows

Sender: Annerie

Annerie wrote about her dream destination in the Themed Messages RR. Little does she know that I have the same dream destination too! Maybe...one day...! meanwhile, I have to be content with collecting postcards from my dream destination! Travelling from the comfort of my couch :)


Fryslân, I read, is a province in the north western Netherlands. Much of the  population still speak the Frisian language as well as Dutch. Fryslân is a low-lying region and water is everywhere and the network of drainage canals and the many lakes makes the province ideal for water sports, especially sailing. 

The province is predominantly agricultural with large farms. Livestock raising, particularly of the black and white Holstein Friesland cattle (picture) and dairy farming are vital to its economy. 

I love fresh milk. But I used to be scared stiff if I meet large cows in my path when taking a stroll!

No comments: