Sunday, August 14, 2011

Of Bollards and Weirdness




Sender: StarrySky
Text on card: Two bollards at the bow of the sunken Titanic.

I received this card for the Black & White RR (weird cards group). When I first saw the image without reading the text at the back, I really didn't have a clue what it was. Something ghostly, I thought. Well, the ghostly things are "bollards". That had me hunting for the dictionary! 

"Bollard"- originally referred to short vertical posts, typically found where large ships dock for mooring. Today, the word now also means a variety of structures used to control pedestrian and vehicular traffic, protect critical infrastructure, provide perimeter highlights, or to define a pathway.

Well there you go! Another of Postcrossing's attributes...it helps me learn new words!


No comments: