Thursday, September 27, 2012

Hand Made Bobbin Lace of Vamberk

Sender: LucieZezulkova
Old handmade bobbin lace, from the late 1950's, Vamberk, Czech Republic
From the Museum of Lacemaking

I gasped with delight when I received this postcard. Ooh...so beautiful! Handmade bobbin lacework! The lacemakers use bobbins, made from wood, bone or plastic, to hold threads which are woven together and held in place with pins stuck in the pattern on the pillow to create intricate lace patterns like the lace in the picture. Very difficult and requires tons of concentration and patience, I bet. But look at the end products, they are worth all the pain!  

I read that Vamberk's handmade lace is an established cultural heritage. There are special schools for this craft's continuity and even international meetings of the lacemakers in Vamberk. I fully support the continuity of this craft even though I am not from Vamberk!


No comments: