Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Old English Sheepdog


Sender: Ireneintheworld
'D' is for 'Dog'
British Dogs (Old English Sheepdog). Reproduced from a stamp designed by Peter Barrett and issued by the Post Office on the 7 February 1979

When I received this card, I went "Aha!! Sam's dog!!" Sam was our old neighbour, when I was living abroad in the UK. Our houses were semi-detached, and the walls were thin I guess, as he would knock on our shared walls when me and my housemates got too exuberant (a.k.a. too noisy?!). He was a gruff pensioner, living together with his HUGE English sheepdog, exactly like the one picture on this card, which accompanied him everywhere. I think Sam's dog was bigger than any of us! Everytime we passed Sam's living room bay window, it would jump up and down in excitement to see us, bang itself against the window or door and that made it seem huger than normal! However, whenever we met it outside, it was always surprisingly gentle and docile! Such a contradiction! A sweet silly humongous dog! I can't believe I've forgotten its name!! :D   
Lovely elephant stamp!

No comments: