Sunday, August 4, 2013

Conehead Katydid

Sender: Monkeyflower
Conehead Katydid, Costa Rica

I made a mistake thinking this is the head of a praying mantis. It is actually a katydid. I am sure I have seen them here but the pictured one is a Conehead Katydid from Costa Rica. 

Hmm...katydid....suddenly it brought to my mind the storybooks I read as a child: "What Katy Did", "What Katy Did At School", "What Katy Did Next"...  :-D

"These green bugs vaguely resemble grasshoppers with extremely long and skinny legs. They also come in many different shapes, colours or sizes. They are gentle creatures who, with a minimum amount of care, can be kept as a interesting pet."

Since they are small insects, I don't mind them. But not if they are big monsters. Imagine facing a monster-sized head like this! Stuff of horror movies! (Insert applicable shriek here).


No comments: